Protocol for Performing a Modified Whittaker Survey
Members of the Team
Team Supervisor (TS)
Survey Technician (ST)
Field Technician (FT)
The following protocol assumes you have already followed the instructions to build a modified Whittaker plot. Follow the link if these instructions are still needed: here.
Surveying Subplots 1-10
- (TS/FT): Using new data table, write the location, date, and page# on the header of the data table.
Starting at subplot #1 located 4 meters to the east of the SW flag
- (TS/FT): Place the upper right corner of the 1 x 0.25 m wooden subplot on flag #1 (31 m mark).
- (TS/FT): Make sure subplot box is flush with meter tape.
- (TS/FT): Write the plot#, location, and date on the laminated piece of card-stock with dry erase marker.
- (TS/FT): Without obscuring view of the subplot interior, affix the card to the wooden subplot.
- (ST): takes photo of subplot and file into appropriate folder.
- (TS/FT): Make tentative identifications of plant species in the subplot and write into Data Sheet.
- (TS/FT): Visually estimate percent cover of each plant, rocks, and bare ground in the subplot and log it into Data Sheet.
- (TS/FT): Using meter stick, measure heights of up-to 10 members of each species and log into Data Sheet.
- (ST): take pictures of each plant in-situ (capture how stems or grass culms grow in relation to the ground, flowers, leaves, etc.); file into an appropriate folder.
- (ST): Take one sample of each plant identified in the subplot and a voucher species in the vicinity (outside colony is fine) bearing flowers, fruit, and seed if available.
- (ST): For each species, place all collected examples into folds of newspaper.
- (ST): Label the folded newspaper with the following information: location, date, picture file names (if applicable), and field moniker.
- (ST): File all pictures from subplot #1 into a folder labeled Colony [#] Subplot 1.
- (ALL): Repeat the above process modified for subplots 2-10
Surveying Subplots 11 & 12
- (TS/FT): Make tentative identifications of plant species in subplots 11 & 12 and write into Data Sheet.
- (ST): Take a photo of plot 11 &12 and collect specimens as done in subplots 1-10.
Surveying the Subplot 13
- (TS/FT): Make note of any formerly unencountered plants in plots 1-12 inside the rest of the Whittaker plot (subplot 13).
- (ST): Collect any previously unencountered plants.
- (TS/FT): Pack the plot away
- (ST): Compress the collected plants in the field press.
Extend right and left jazz hands and exclaim "tuhdahhhh!"
Written by Kevin D. Healey